Transferring the Family Farm Clinics
To help you prepare for succession planning Teagasc is hosting six clinics across the country. These clinics are designed to help farm families through the process of and all aspects that need to be considered when transferring the family farm.
Succession planning can seem to be a very complex task but it doesn’t have to be with early planning. Every family has a different set of circumstances, but it is always better to have a plan in place. The worst case scenario is where the farm transfer is unplanned as a result of illness or the death of the owner, leading to tax and legal complications. Many farmers say they will never retire, however you do not have to be retired to have a succession plan in place and there are many decent tax reliefs and benefits to encourage you to prepare a plan in good time.
Transferring the family farm is so much more than just a simple business transaction; there are a number of complex issues to be addressed including:
- The family home is normally inseparable from the business.
- A number of family members/ siblings/ children to be catered for fairly
- If the transfer is during the owner’s lifetime, the owner will require an income, as well as possibly the recipient depending on the circumstances.
- Creating an arrangement that can provide a solution for the different opinions of the family members involved the discussion
Click on the links below for further information
- Farm Succession and Transfer Guide - Summary (pdf)
- Guide to Transferring your Family Farm (November 2020 Edition)
- Transferring the Family Farm - What do I need to know?
- Planning your Succession - Media Article
- Lessons from Teagasc’s farm succession clinic
- Article: How to take the stress out of land succession
Find all our advice and guidance on Succession & Inheritance here
Transferring the Family Farm Clinics 2022
To help you prepare Teagasc is hosting six clinics across the country. You can register for your closest event at the links below.
These clinics are designed to help farm families through the process of and all aspects that need to be considered when transferring the family farm.
Tuesday, 4 October | 10.30am - 1pm
Radisson Blu Hotel, Paddy Harte Road, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal. Eircode: F92 FK15
Wednesday, 5 October | 10.30am - 1pm
McWilliam Park Hotel, Kilcolman Road, Boherduff, Claremorris, Mayo, F12 D1W3
Thursday, 6 October | 10.30am - 1pm
Mullingar Park Hotel, Dublin Road, Mullingar, Westmeath, N91 A4EP
Tuesday, 11 October | 10.30am - 1pm
Abbey Court Hotel, Nenagh, Tipperary, E45 KA99
Wednesday, 12 October | 10.30am - 1pm
Charleville Park Hotel, Charleville, Cork, P56 V268
Thursday, 13 October | 10.30am - 1pm
Amber Springs Hotel, Gorey, Wexford, Y25 FY07