2027 Sectoral Road Map: Forestry
A new Teagasc 2027 Sectoral Road Map for Forestry was published on Tuesday, 8 December 2020. It includes: Market and policy issues; Potential shape and size of sector in 2027; Environmental & land use implications; Technical performance; Research & technology transfer actions and Comment.
A new series of Teagasc Sectoral Roadmaps 2027 was published on Tuesday, 8 December during a live webinar. Paul Maher, Assistant Director of Teagasc Knowledge Transfer Directorate chaired the webinar where speakers gave an overview of the main elements of the Teagasc Sectoral Roadmaps 2027.
Teagasc Researchers John Spink, Pat Dillon and Mark Fenelon gave presentations in their areas of expertise. Kevin Hanrahan, Head of Teagasc Rural Economy and Development Programme gave an overview of the importance of agriculture and food in the Irish economy. The presentations and the webinar itself can be viewed here
Download the Teagasc 2027 Sectoral Road Map for Forestry (PDF)
- By 2030, national timber output has the potential to reach 6.6 million m3 per annum, and to continue increasing thereafter.
- The wood energy market is well developed and technologies are being adopted to optimise the benefits of engineered wood, value-added wood constituents and forestry side-streams to the bioeconomy.
- The non-timber benefits of forestry have enhanced importance and value. These include environmental services, tourism and recreation.
- The collaborative actions of forest owner groups through knowledge transfer (KT) has led to the adoption of sustainable management practices.
- More private forests close to thinning stage are certified, demonstrating sustainable forest management to the market.
- There is increased awareness of both short-term and long-term environmental and economic consequences associated with various tree species and their management system requirements.
There are nine sectoral roadmaps in total on Forestry, Pigs, Tillage, Sheep, Dairy, Beef, Horticulture, Food and Environment. To see all nine of the Teagasc 2027 Sectoral Roadmaps click here Teagasc Sectoral Roadmaps 2027