Research Insights Webinar - Increasing the value of beef from the dairy herd
On a recent Teagasc Research Insights webinar held Wednesday, 31 March, Donagh Berry, Teagasc Researcher & Director of VistaMilk SFI Research Centre was joined by Alan Twomey, Nicky Byrne & Padraig French to discuss breeding & management strategies to maximise the value of beef from the dairy herd
This can be best achieved by selecting genetically elite beef sires and implementing best management practices in dairy beef systems. Decision support tools such as the dairy-beef index to identify beef bulls suited for mating to dairy females are now being actively used; this index, which is based on the principles of other successful national breeding indexes, attempts to marry the desires of both the dairy and beef producers.
Harnessing this genetic superiority through associated optimised grass-based management system will help ensure a return on investment which is resilience to external factors but also responsible in terms of social acceptability stewardship of the environment.
Donagh Berry - Teagasc Researcher & Director of VistaMilk SFI Research Centre
- Alan Twomey - DBI – Selecting the best beef sires for the dairy herd
- Nicky Byrne - Optimising dairy-beef systems of production
- Padraig French - Using dairy-beef genetics to reduce methane output
View presentations below
- Selecting the best beef sire for the Dairy Herd (PDF) - Alan Twomey
- Optimum Dairy-Beef Systems (PDF) - Nicky Byrne
- Increasing Efficiency of Dairy Beef (PDF) - Padraig French
Watch webinar recording below
Find out more about the series or register for future webinars here: Teagasc Research Insights Webinars