Identifying worm burden - routine faecal sampling
Carrying out routine dung samples from a batch of lambs will help identify whether or not the lambs need a dose. Michael Gottstein, Head of Sheep, outlines what oulshd be done and also runs through the process of how you take a sample.
Faecal egg count key steps:
- Contact approved lab (see list attached) for sample kit
- Collect at least 10 individual fresh samples at random by either gathering sheep in the corner of a field for a few minutes and then pick up samples when they move or selecting a group of 15 lambs at random, hold in a clean pen and collect samples
- Post as soon as possible with relevant details included, preferably on the day of sampling. Should there be some delay prior to posting, place samples in refrigerator / cool box (Do not freeze or leave in direct sunlight).
- Strongyle egg counts over 500 eggs per gram of faeces (epg) is an accepted threshold to warrant treatment
- Consult your vet or advisor to aid in interpreting results