National Milk Quality Farm Walk (in association with NDC, Ornua, Lakeland Dairies)12 June 2019 12 June 2019
Venue Farm of Darran McKenna, Emyvale, Co. Monaghan
A farm walk will take place on the McKenna family farm on Wednesday 12th June at 1.30pm.
The event is organised by Teagasc, with the support of Lakeland Dairies Co-op, the National Dairy Council and Ornua, and celebrates the excellence of Irish dairy farming highlighted annually by the NDC & Kerrygold Quality Milk Awards.
The farm walk will address the following topics:
- Review of farm performance
- 2018 performance figures: 521 kg milk solids per cow (3.42% protein, 4.19% butterfat), SCC 70,000 cells/ml, 80% six-week calving rate
- Producing high quality milk with low SCC and TBC
- Sustainable milk production while caring for the environment
- Reduced antibiotic usage: the case for selective dry cow therapy
- Taste the difference: grass fed milk tastes better!
Directions: The farm is located adjacent to the village of Emyvale, which itself is on the N2 Dublin to Derry road. The farm will be signposted from Emyvale | GPS co-ordinates: 54.335937,-6.950582 | Eircode: H18 CY99