Share Farming Open Day - Co Cork6 September 2017 6 September 2017
Venue Shinagh Estates Farm, Gurteen, Bandon, Co Cork
Topics covered at the event will include:
- Farm owner and share farmer perspectives on share farming
- Positioning yourself for share farming
- Total development costs for setting up a new 100 cow farm
- The Gurteen share farming agreement
- Physical and financial performance to date, including returns to both parties
- Other collaborative farming arrangements
Farm location: 51°45'33.7"N 8°46'59.8"W
The farm will be signposted from all routes into Bandon.
All welcome to attend
In 2015, Teagasc set up a new share farming demonstration farm in conjunction with Shinagh Estates (owned by the four West Cork co-ops), at Bandon, Co. Cork. The objective is to show how share farming can generate a good return for a farm owner and allow a person without land to farm in their own right.
Shinagh Estates provided the land (34ha), and invested in a new farmyard and grazing infrastructure. A share farmer, John Sexton, from Donoughmore, Co. Cork, provided 95 cows and is responsible for managing the farm on an on-going basis.
Come along on the day to hear how one of Ireland’s first share farming arrangements is progressing.