Teagasc Walsh Scholars – The Next Generation9 July 2021 9 July 2021
We invite you to join us for an exciting showcase of the Teagasc Walsh Scholarships Programme and meet some of our 250 Walsh Scholars who are studying for post-graduate degrees in association with national and international universities. The event will be MC'd by TV and radio broadcaster, Jonathan McCrea (10 Things to Know About …, RTÉ and Futureproof, Newstalk).
You will meet and hear from current and past Walsh Scholars, who will discuss their experiences of the programme, their research interests and their careers to date.
You will also find out about the exciting opportunities currently available in PhD and Master’s degrees in agri-food related disciplines.
You will have the chance to network virtually on the Hopin platform with Teagasc and third-level supervisors, researchers and industry representatives.
The highlight of the event is an award ceremony for the 2021 Walsh Scholar of the Year competition. Prizes will be presented to the shortlisted scholars and one leading scholar will be presented with the Walsh Scholar of the Year Gold medal.
Join us to celebrate Ireland’s leading agri-food post-graduates!
You should attend this event if you are a potential student, an academic, from a research institute or funding body, or an employer in the national and international agri-food sector, with an interest in agri-food research.
10am - Doors open – visit booths, network, familiarise yourself with the platform
10:30am - Welcome by MC - Jonathan McCrea, TV and Radio Broadcaster
10:35am - Opening Address by Professor Gerry Boyle, Director of Teagasc
10:45am - Launch your career with a Walsh Scholarship
In conversation with ...
- Richard Kennedy, Chief Executive, Devenish
- Thia Hennessy, Chair of Agri-Food Economics in Cork University Business School, UCC
- Dr. Sineád Bleiel, CEO of AnaBio and Former Walsh Scholar
- Jane Kavanagh, Head of Research Development and Walsh Scholarships, Teagasc
11:15am - Session 1: Becoming a Walsh Scholar
Facilitated by Dr. Ewen Mullins, Head of Crop Science Department,Teagasc
- Hilary King, Walsh Scholarships Programme Administrator
- Dr. Monica Gorman, Lecturer/Assistant Professor, School of Agriculture and Food Science, UCD
- Eimear Gallagher, Head of Food Quality and Sensory Science Department, Teagasc and WS Programme Mentor
11:15am - Session 2: A spotlight on research by current Walsh Scholars
Facilitated by Jonathan McCrea
- Adam Cogan, Teagasc Walsh Scholar
- Jie Kang, Teagasc Walsh Scholar
- Donagh Hennessy, Teagasc Walsh Scholar
- Cathal Conaty, Teagasc Walsh Scholar
11:15am - Session 3: A Walsh Scholarship - where can it take you?
Facilitated by Dr. Deirdre Hennessy, Senior Research Officer at Teagasc and former Walsh Scholar
- Professor Donagh Berry, Senior Principal Research Officer at Teagasc and Director of VistaMilk
- Dr. Helen Sheridan, Assistant Professor/Lecturer, School of Agriculture and Food Science, UCD
- Dr. Eoin Desmond, Technology Director at Kerry Europe and Russia
11:45am - Visit the Virtual booths; poster session; networking or Coffee Break
- Walsh Scholar Posters
- Walsh Scholarship Opportunities
- Network with Teagasc and University supervisors
12:00pm - Award Ceremony and Prize Giving
Awards will be presented by Professor Frank O'Mara, Director of Research, Teagasc
1:00pm - Close award ceremony and event
1pm - 5pm Opportunity to network and visit virtual booths | Platform closes at 5pm