New Teagasc Dairy Farm Managers Programme
Teagasc has developed a new training programme for Professional Dairy Farm Managers of the future, which will be available at Teagasc Kildalton College, Piltown, Co. Kilkenny in 2012.
The training programme is intended for those who manage their own, or other’s dairy farms, and will include a two year internship programme on the most progressive Irish dairy farms and oversees farms, with a view to developing managerial expertise and capacity of trainee managers.
Those who complete the programme will receive a FETAC Level 6 Supplemental Award in Commercial Farm Management Skills.
This initiative arises from a recommendation from the Food Harvest 2020 dairy activation group, that a further two year dairy programme should be introduced to follow on from the existing Teagasc Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Dairy Herd Management programme.
Dairy farm mangers of the future will require a broad managerial skill set including:
- Business know-how to manage a commercial business.
- Ability to identify, analyse and benchmark key financial and productivity indicators.
- Technical knowledge to run a large modern dairy farm or dairy unit.
- Farm assurance, herd bio-security, health & safety and cross compliance audits.
- Ability to implement herd health, environmental, and sustainable farming plans.
- Skills to recruit, lead, influence, negotiate and performance-manage people effectively.
- Project management skills.
- Familiarity with Information Technology packages and decisions supports for dairy farming.
Information meetings on the new Dairy Farm Managers programme will take place in Teagasc colleges next week:
- Kildalton Agricultural College on Thursday, 24 November at 3.30 pm
- Clonakilty Agricultural College on Friday, 25 November at 11.30am
- Ballyhaise Agricultural College on Monday, 28 November at 3.30pm