Young Horse Breeders 2013
The National Young Breeders Competition, organised by Horse Sport Ireland (HSI) and Teagasc and partnered by Connolly’s Red Mills will take place on Saturday, 20 April 2013 in Teagasc Kildalton College, Piltown, Co. Kilkenny.
The aim of the Young Breeders Competition is to:
- Encourage young people to become actively involved in breeding, presenting and assessing mares and young horses;
- Identify young people with the potential to become judges/ inspectors;
- Improve knowledge of horse breeding and evaluating horses;
- Present an opportunity to meet other like minded individuals both nationally and internationally.
The skills gained are applicable to so many areas aside from the above mentioned – e.g. presenting for sale or at inspection; assessing stock to purchase; or indeed deciding which deserve further investment and which should be sold. The benefits can be wide reaching.
The results of the National Young Breeders Competition will be used to select a panel from which the teams will be selected to represent the Irish Sport Horse Studbook in the WBFSH Young Breeders World Championships in Sweden in July following further training in June. Three individuals (and one reserve) will be selected to represent the studbook in the 16 – 19 years of age category and a further three (and one reserve) in the 20 – 25 years of age category.*
There are three age categories in the National Competition: 14-15years; 16-19 years; and 20-25 years. Age on the 1st of Jan 2013 determines which category to compete in.
Entry to the national competition is €35. A family rate is available. Applications close April 12th.
For further information please contact Wendy Conlon, Teagasc on 091 845291/ 087 9879083 or Antonette Doran in Horse Sport Ireland on 045 854508 or email: email@example.com
Information also available from Declan McArdle 087 6831876;
A DVD is also available to explain all elements of the competition. Further information on the competition is available on the Teagasc and Horse Sport Ireland Websites.
* Please note that there is no category in the WBFSH Young Breeders World Championships for competitors 14 – 15 years of age, these will be confined to national competition only.