The Signpost Programme
The Signpost programme - A Teagasc proposal to prompt climate action by all Irish farmers.
Download Publication (PDF)
The Signpost programme will be a multi-annual campaign to prompt climate action by all Irish farmers, and achieve early progress in reducing gaseous emissions from Irish agriculture (while also improving water quality, maintaining and in some cases improving) biodiversity and creating more profi table and sustainable farming enterprises.
What are the objectives of the programme?
1. To lead and support the transition of Irish farming towards more sustainable farming systems;
2. To reduce agricultural emissions, specifically,
- To reduce GHG emissions to the range
5 – 19.0 MtCO2 eq. by 2030; and
- To reduce ammonia emissions by 5% below 2005 levels, currently estimated at 5 kT NH3, also by 2030;
3. To reduce other negative environmental impacts of agriculture (specifically, to improve water quality and to improve biodiversity)