Can herbage production be maintained at lower chemical N fertiliser input?
Type Event Proceeding
Presentation by Dr. Deirdre HennessyTeagasc, Animal and Grassland Research and Innovation Centre, Moorepark, Fermoy, Co. Cork at the Irish Grassland Association (IGA) Virtual Dairy Conference which took place on Wednesday, 6th January 2021.
View presentation here: Deirdre Hennessy Irish Grassland Association Dairy Conference 2021 (PDF)
Watch Deirdre's presentation below
- Apply slurry with LESS and Spring before Summer –reduce N fertiliser by 15 –20 kg/ha
- Mid-season –measure and use available information to plan N fertiliser
- Surplus bales EVERY rotation --> opportunity to reduce N
- White clover
- Replace up to 100 kg N/ha or 40% of chemical N fertiliser
Take home messages
- Optimise soil fertility
- Make better use of N on your farm
- Slurry –LESS, spring before summer
- Plan mid-season N
- Reseed and over sow clover this year to allow reductions in N fertiliser in summer