New Entrant Network - Newbie
Sustaining a cohort of new entrants is crucial for the agricultural sector and rural regions in Europe. New entrants bring innovation and entrepreneurialism, as well as practical skills and networks. However, new entrants face considerable challenges in entering the sector. The newbie network will address the challenge of enabling new entrants to successfully establish sustainable farm businesses in Europe.
The Newbie network will feature the development and dissemination of new business models, including new entry models, to the full range of new entrants - from successors to complete newcomers to the agricultural sector.
The Newbie network offers a unique platform by bringing together new entrants, successors, advisors, researchers, important regional and national actors and relevant stakeholders in national networks.
Who are new entrants?
New entrants are defined in the Newbie network as anyone who starts a new farm business or becomes involved in an existing farm business. They comprise a wide range of ages, agricultural experience and resource access. Newcomers and successors can enter farming at any stage in their working lives. They face common barriers: access to land, labour, capital, housing, markets, knowledge and the networks needed to acquire these resources.
Read about the inspiring Irish new entrants, they are new entrants in the following areas:
- Cucumber growers - Winner of NEWBIE 2021
- Poultry Farmer - Winner of NEWBIE 2020
- Snail Farmer - Winner of NEWBIE 2019
- Dairy Sheep
- Organic salad leaf
- Beef and Sheep
- Kylemore cheese
- Dairy Partnership - Longford
- Kilbeggan Organic Foods
- Dairy Partnership - Galway
- Tillage and Contracting
- Contract Rearing
- Agri-tourism and sheep
New entrants face quite a number of barriers in developing new sustainable farming businesses. Newbie aims to help new entrants to overcome these barriers. Examples of these challenges (barriers) are:
- Access to land
- Access to capital
- Access to information
- Access to markets
- Newbie will organize a diverse range of activities, both at the national and the European level. National discussion circles will be established with new entrants and relevant stakeholders.
- Newbie will create a video channel with a library of inspiring new entrants visual stories from all participating countries.
- We will provide opportunities for bilateral exchange of new farmers and advisors across Europe.
For more information visit the Newbie website: http://www.newbie-academy.eu/
Download brochure: Teagasc Newbie Flyer March 2018 (PDF)