NEWBIE Competition Eligibility Criteria
New Entrant to Agriculture Award 2022 - Terms & Conditions
- Open to individuals or groups who have started or become involved in a farm business operating an agricultural holding since 2016.
- The business model must have been in place for one or more years (i.e. there must be evidence of the ‘success’ of the business model).
- All farmer’s above 18 years of age are eligible to apply.
- The business should be primarily located on a farm.
- Can be a whole farm approach or new business activity within an existing farm operation (as long as this activity is owned by the new entrant).
- The new entrant must be the person running the farm/farm business.
- Further evidence may be sought from the shortlisted applicants to demonstrate financial viability if deemed necessary by the judging panel.
- The winners will have the opportunity to host a farm event on the property on which they are basing this entry, to showcase their business if they so desire.
- New entrants should be aware that information provided may be made public and that it’s the entrant’s responsibility to ensure their practices & farms comply with all legal requirements including but not limited to: environment, employment, animal welfare, health & safety and other regulations.
- Previous unsuccessful applicants are welcome to apply.
- Applicants must submit an online application by the closing date of 12 midnight on Sunday 9 October 2022
- Novelty/originality of the product, market or service
- Apparent profitability and other societal impacts
- How well does the new entrant overcome the key barriers to new entrants e.g. access to land, labour, markets, finance
- Replicability of the business model by other new entrants
- Applicants must submit a completed on line application form by the deadline (Sunday 9 October 2022) – videos etc. are welcome but are not required
- Applicants will be shortlisted by Newbie Steering Group members
- Newbie Steering Group member(s) will visit the shortlisted applicants to further assess the application
- Alternative means of evaluation may be adopted by the judging panel where necessary to conform to public health guidelines.
- All applications will be judged by a selected group from the Newbie Steering Group members and a team of judges will visit the shortlisted candidates to determine a winner.
- €1,000 Cash prize kindly sponsored by Allied Irish Bank
- Mentoring programme (value of €1,000) kindly provided by Enterprise Ireland
- Production of a promotional farm video
- A plaque for display on-farm
- Award winners will be showcased on the Newbie web-site and in the National farming press.