Organic Demonstration Farm Walks
Teagasc hold regular organic demonstration farm walks throughout the country. These events are an excellent opportunity for anyone considering entering organic production to see first-hand the differences in operating an organic system. Teagasc Advisers, DAFM representatives, the Organic Certification Bodies and of course the farmers themselves are all available on the day to answer questions and give guidance
Teagasc, Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine and organic organisations invite all farmers and members of the public to see organic farming in practice and to meet and speak with the producers and sector’s experts.
Wednesday, 8th June | 2pm
Sheep, Cereals, Beef Finishing
On the farm of Fergal Byrne, Calverstown Little, Dunlavin, Co. Kildare. Eircode: W91 X8F5.
Wednesday, 15th June | 2pm
Suckler to Beef and Cereals
On the farm of Donal & Frederique Keane, Camelton Stud, Summerhill, Co. Meath. Eircode: A83 TR83. Click here for directions
Wednesday, 22nd June | 2pm
Beef and Direct Selling
On the farm of Clive Bright, Ardsallagh, Ballymote, Co. Sligo. Click here for directions
Wednesday, 29th June | 2pm
Poultry-eggs, Cereals, Beef Finishing
On the farm of Mark & Grainne Duffy, Clogher, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan. Eircode: A75 Y421. Click here for directions
Wednesday, 6th July | 2pm
On the farm of Gavin Tully, Clonhenritte, Camolin, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford. Eircode: Y21 H2R6 Click here for directions
Wednesday, 13th July | 2pm
Cereals and Poultry-eggs
On the farm of Declan Houlihan, Corrigeen Organic Farm, Rathcabin, Birr, Co. Offaly. Eircode: R42 C854. Click here for directions
Tuesday, 19th July | 2pm
Fieldscale Vegetables, Protected Cropping, Cereals, Poultry-eggs, Direct Selling
On the farm of Rose O Sullivan & Martin Fox, Spring Cottage Organic Farm, Parke, Kinnegad, Co. Westmeath. Eircode: N91 XFW3. Click here for directions
Wednesday, 1st June | 2pm
Suckler to Weanling and Sheep
On the farm of John Hurley, Castle Hill House, Knockalaughta, Ballintubber, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon. Eircode: F45 FT65.
Wednesday, 11th May | 12pm
Cereals and Milling flour
On the farm of Andrew & Leonie Workman, Dunany Flour Organic, Drogheda, Co. Louth.
Wednesday, 30th March | 12pm
Hill Sheep, Agri - Tourism
On the farm of Brigid O'Connor, Tralee, Co. Kerry.
Wednesday, 20th April | 12pm
Cereals and Sheep
On the farm of Ross & Amy Jackson, Lacka, Carrig, Birr, Co. Tipperary.
Wednesday, 2nd March | 12pm
Organic Dairy Farm Walk
On the farm of Seamus Howard, Ennis, Co. Clare.
Organic Dairy Farm Walk - Whitty Family Farm
Joe & Alicia Whitty have been farming organically for 14 years now, but the biggest change to their farming system came in 2015 when they converted their mixed beef/pigs and tillage operation to organic dairying. Many changes have happened on this farm over the past 14 years and the Whitty family opened up their farm to the public on Wednesday, 3 November to tell their story.
About the Whitty Family Farm
The Whittys are milking 67 organic cows with all milk being supplied to Glenisk. Daughters Aoife, Niamh and Eimear all play an active role on the day to day farming activities, making this a real family farming effort.
There is a great variety of crops grown on this farm including; permanent pasture, white clover swards, red clover swards, multi species swards, combi crops and spring oats. There is also 10 acres of a designated habitat and 5 acres of forestry on the farm. On the day of the walk the Whittys will go into detail as to how they grow and manage these crops on their farm and how they are reducing their reliance on imported feed by growing such crops.
Visitors on the day will hear from the Whittys about the changes they had to make when converting their farm firstly to organic and secondly to organic dairy. They will learn how they grow such a variety of crops and how they do this without the use of chemical fertilisers. The reliance on clover will be outlined on the day along with the newly sown multi species swards.
While this is an organic event, this walk will be of interest to both organic and conventional farmers. As this is primarily an outdoor event, visitors are advised to dress accordingly.
View Farm Walk Booklets from previous events
- Organic Dairy Farm Walk on the farm of Peter and Jenny Young - Wednesday 20 Feb 2019
- Sean Condon Fanningstown Limerick Dairy Farm Walk June 2019 Wednesday 5 June 2019
- Whiteoaks Acorn Project Open Day - Derryvane, Muff, Co. Donegal - Wednesday 26 June 2019
- - Wednesday May 16th 2018
- Eugene and Rosaleen Flanagan, Driminagh, Loughglynn, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon - Wednesday 2nd May 2018
- William Mulhall, Derrymullen, Allenwood, Naas, Co Kildare - Wednesday 21st March
- Tom & Gemma Dunne, Seefeld Farm, Ballinaslee, Durrow, Co. Laois - Wednesday, 6th December
- Darren and Gerard Grennan, Lismoyney, Clara, Co Offaly - Wednesday 11th November
- Kenneth Keavney, Greenearth Organic Farm, Caherlea, Coraundulla, Co Galway - Wednesday 30th September
- Darren and Gerard Grennan, Lismoyney, Clara, Co Offaly Wednesday 11th November
- Eugene Kirrane, Cullane, Claremorris, Co Mayo - Tuesday 1st September
- Mark Gillanders, Ballinagall, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan - Wednesday 25th March
- -Wednesday 19th November
- Mark Duffy, Bellview, Clogher, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan - Wednesday, 5th November
- Kay O’Sullivan, Mallow, Co. Cork - Tuesday, 26th August