Brexit represents a significant challenge which cannot be underestimated
With BREXIT fast approaching there remains a lot of uncertainty
An EU Task Force, the 'International Horse Sports Confederation', with representatives from the Federation Equestre Internationale (FEI), the European Equestrian Federation (EEF), the International Federation of Horseracing Authorities (IFHA), the International Thoroughbred Breeders Federation (ITBF), the European Federation of Thoroughbred Breeders Association (EFTBA) is working to identify and present solutions to the challenges facing the equine sector as a result of BREXIT.
One of the biggest challenges is to ensure the unhindered movement of horses with guaranteed health status, and the temporary movement of essential, skilled individuals (grooms, riders, jockeys, veterinarians and others) across EU borders.
The Department of Agriculture Food and Marine has advised a preparedness checklist for businesses moving animals, plants, and products of animal and plant origin. Read more
Department of Business Enterprise and Innovation preparedness checklist
- For companies in any sector: Use Enterprise Ireland's Brexit Scorecard to get an overall sense of your preparedness
- For those in tourism: Use Fáilte Ireland’s Brexit Readiness Check
Importers and Exporters
If you are the operator responsible for importing animals or animal products from the UK you are advised to register with DAFM and TRACES Contact BrexitRegistration@agriculture.gov.ie
Guidance documents for TRACES Read more
- UK Government information on moving equines from the UK to EU from January 2021 read more
- Revenue information for customers, traders, and agents here
- If you move goods to, from or through Great Britain, you need to register for Customs. You can do this by getting an 'Economic Operators Registration and Identification' (EORI) number. Read more
- Revenue Customs Helpline 01-7383667 Mon-Fri 09.00 - 17.00 hrs
March 2019 Brexit Planning - Information Note from D.A.F.M. - Movement of Equines bewtween Ireland and Great Britain if the U.K. leaves the E.U. without a deal Brexit No Deal - Transport of Horses (PDF)
Gov.ie Brexit Readiness Action Plan
DAFM Brexit Webinars and 'How To' Guides are available here with explanations on how to use Traces, the Imports Portal, the Export Certification System and more.