Change of Ownership
On foot of a Statutory Instrument signed into law by the Minister for Agriculture Food and the Marine, it is now a legal requirement to report changes of horse ownership to the Passport Issuing Authority who issued the original passport for a horse. This applies for any horses whose ownership changes after July 1st, 2014.
When a horse is sold the seller should give the passport to the buyer. The buyer should then complete the Transfer of ownership form and return it to Horse Sport Ireland along with the passport and the appropriate fee. A record of the transfer of ownership of an equine shall be maintained by both the person transferring ownership and the person to whom ownership is transferred for a period of 5 years from the date of the transaction and be made available on request to an authorised officer.
FAQs on Change of Ownership (PDF)
When buying / acquiring ownership:
- You must receive the passport from the seller at the time of purchase.
- You must complete the "buyer" parts of this form and ensure the seller has also completed their sections.
- You must forward this form and the passport with the appropriate fee to the PIO within 30 days of taking ownership.
- Both parties must keep a copy of this transfer of ownership declaration - photocopying or photo will suffice.
- DAFM authorised officers will carry out inspections and have powers to inspect records and documents.
- Failure to register the transfer of ownership within the time limit is now a serious offence in Ireland and attracts heavy penalties.
- Giving false, misleading or incomplete information is also a legal offence.
Links to equine change of ownership forms
|PIO||Link to form|
|Irish Pony Society||http://www.irishponysociety.ie/about-the-ips-2/|
|Connemara Pony Breeders Society||http://www.cpbs.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Transfer-of-Ownership.pdf|
|Warmblood Studbook of Ireland||http://www.irish-warmblood.com/forms/ChangeofOwnership.pdf|
|Horse Sport Ireland||http://www.horsesportireland.ie/passports/transfer-ownership/|
|Irish Appaloosa Society||Irish Appaloosa Society - Change of Ownership Form (PDF)|