Teagasc Tillage Month
Welcome to ‘Tillage Month’ during which we will deliver the latest insights on current tillage research plus the most relevant technical advice for tillage farmers through a series of live, interactive webinars.
- Crop Agronomy Update Webinars
- Tillage Conference February 3rd and 17th
- Malting Barley Conference February 23rd
- Spring webinar proceedings
The tillage industry underpins Ireland’s agri-food enterprises through the provision of high quality feed / material for processing, with the sector being the most carbon efficient within Irish agriculture.
While the expansive role the cropping sector can play in supporting sustainable food production is clear, the sector faces legislative, environmental and land use challenges that are undermining its economic sustainability.
In response, continued innovation and investment in crop improvement and knowledge transfer strategies is essential if we are to improve the resilience of the sector and exploit the significant opportunities that exist to add value for the primary producer in response to consumer preferences for increased provenance and authenticity.
Teagasc Crops Trials Event
The Teagasc Crop Trials Event took place in Oak Park, Carlow, across two days on Wednesday, 30th June and Thursday, 1st July 2021. The event consisted of research updates on a range of crops including; spring barley, winter wheat, oilseed rape, rye and beans.
Specific content covered included:
- Improved diagnostics and sampling strategies to support development of IPM strategies to control BYDV
- Disease control measures in spring barley and winter wheat
- Management of oilseed rape and rye
- Use of liquid N for cereals
- Establishment systems for beans and addressing the lodging issues with field pea
- Insights from the Teagasc Agricultural Sustainability Support and Advice Programme
- Grassweed identification and machinery hygiene actions to offset the spread of grassweeds
- The latest spring barley and winter wheat varieties which will be demonstrated by the DAFM variety testing team
If you weren't able to make the event at Teagasc Oak Park, you can watch back the live event which took place on Wednesday evening, 30th June where Andy Doyle, Tillage Editor with the Irish Farmers Journal sat down with farmers and researchers to answer your questions. Highlights from the research plots and farmers views were top of the agenda.
- Teagasc Crop Agronomy Update Webinars
These webinars which took place on Tuesday, 6th April & 4th May, covered the major agronomy decisions needed over the coming weeks in winter and spring crops. Researchers, Specialists and advisors were on hand to answer questions throughout the webinar.
- 2021 Tillage Conference
The 2021 National Tillage Conference which took place virtually, split over two days, on Wednesday, 3rd & 17th February 2021.
- Malting Barley Conference
Teagasc Malting Barley Conference in conjunction with Boortmalt, which took place virtually on Tuesday, 23rd February 2021.
- Spring Tillage Webinars
Teagasc researchers, specialists and advisors updated growers on crop agronomy for the coming weeks. These webinars took place on Tuesday, 19th January & Thursday, 21st January.