Teagasc/Dairygold Joint Programme
Teagasc/Dairygold Joint Programme 2021 - 2025
Vision and Objectives
The vision for the Teagasc Dairygold Joint Programme is for it to be the vehicle through which Teagasc and Dairygold work together to ensure a consistent delivery of relevant messages to all Dairygold suppliers, leading to necessary change and ultimately, an efficient and sustainable supplier base for Dairygold.
The 2021 – 2025 Joint Programme follows on from a series of Joint Programmes between Teagasc and Dairygold stretching back to 1993. The specific objectives for this programme are as follows:
- To ensure the long-term sustainability of Dairygold Co-op and its milk suppliers by advocating the adoption of resilient systems of milk production.
- To ensure all of Dairygold milk suppliers develop an economical, environmental and socially sustainable farming system.
- To ensure all milk suppliers have access to Teagasc research and technologies and are adequately supported in their efforts to adopt best practices.
- To deliver an industry good initiative focussed on the education of Dairygold milk suppliers.
This Joint programme will continue to have sustainable milk production at its core, and will lead, support and enable all Dairygold suppliers in the adoption of sustainable and resilient dairy systems. The main focus of the programme will be:
- Reducing agricultural green house gas and ammonia emmisions, improving water quality, managing biodiversity on farm, while farming in an economically sustainable manner. In addition, the herd health focus for the new programme will be in the area of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and selective dry cow therapy (DCT).
- Meeting the labour challenge facing Dairygold milk suppliers through promoting labour efficient practices, highlighting best practice in labour management and exploring the options for streamlining the peak spring workload through the adoption of technology.