Edgar ManzanillaHead of Pig Development Department
- Improving feed efficiency in pigs, new ingredients and feeding management systems
- Nutrition, microbiota and immune system interaction
- Reducing antimicrobial use
- Epidemiology and data analysis
Other online profiles
- WELPIG: Exploring the link between poor welfare, production diseases, antimicrobial usage and resistance on Irish pig farms
- FEED-STRAT: Evaluation of current feeding and management practices in Irish pig production and future strategies for improvement
- NET-ENERGY: Exploring Net Energy (NE) and amino acid (aa) balance in Irish pig diets
- Teagasc Pig Production Model (TPPM): Development of an economic model for the pig industry
- EUPIG: EU Pig Innovation Group, a European network on good practice in pig production
- AMURAP: Antimicrobial use and resitance in animal production
- EFFIFAST: Fast methods to optimize on farm feed efficiency
- PIGFEED: Introducing new feeding programs and facilities for Irish finishing pigs
- Dipl. of the European College of Porcine Health and Management (ECPHM)
- Master in Preventive Veterinary Medicine (MPVM), University of California, Davis
- PhD, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
- Master in Animal Science, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
- Veterinary Medicine, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
- European Association of Porcine Health and Management (EAPHM)
- European Society of Veterinary and Comparative Nutrition (ESVCN)
- Editor for Livestock Science and the Irish Veterinary Journal.
- European Innovation Partnership (EIP, European Commission) FG on animal husbandry (reduction of anti-biotic use in the pig sector); FG on Benchmarking; and FG on new feeds for pigs and poultry.
- Calderón Díaz JA, Manzanilla EG, Diana A, Boyle LA. 2018. Cross-fostering implications for pig mortality, welfare and performance. Frontiers in Veterinary Science. 5:123.
- Argüello H, Manzanilla EG, Lynch H, Walia K, Leonard FC, Egan J, Duffy G, Gardiner GE, Lawlor PG. 2018. Surveillance data highlights feed form, biosecurity, and disease control as significant factors associated with Salmonella infection on farrow-to-finish pig farms. Frontiers in Microbiology. 9:187.
- Lynch H, Walia K, Leonard FC, Lawlor PG, Manzanilla EG, Grant J, Duffy G, Gardiner GE, Cormican M, Markey BK, Fanning S, Argüello H. 2018. Salmonella in breeding pigs: Shedding pattern and transmission of infection to progeny in Irish commercial farrow-to-finish herds. Zoonoses and Public Health. 65(1):e196-e206.
- Diana A, Manzanilla EG, Calderón Díaz JA, Leonard FC, Boyle LA. 2017. Do weaner pigs need in-feed antibiotics to ensure good health and welfare? PLOS ONE. 12(10):e0185622.
- Calderón Díaz JA, Boyle LA, Diana A, Leonard FC, Moriarty JP, McElroy MC, McGettrick S, Kelliher D, Manzanilla EG. 2017. Early life indicators predict mortality, illness, reduced welfare and carcass characteristics in finisher pigs. Preventive Veterinary Medine. 146: 94-102.
- Torres-Pitarch A, Hermans D, Manzanilla EG, Bindelle J, Everaert N, Beckers Y, Torrallardona D, Bruggeman G, Gardiner GE, Lawlor PG. Effect of feed enzymes on digestibility and growth in weaned pigs: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Animal Feed Science and Technology. 233:145-159.
- Calderón Díaz JA, Diana A, Boyle LA, Leonard FC, McElroy MC, McGettrick S, Moriarty JP, Manzanilla EG. 2017. Delaying pigs from the normal production flow is associated with health problems and poorer performance. Porcine Health Management. 3:13.
- van Staaveren N, Doyle B, Manzanilla EG, Calderón Díaz JA, Hanlon A, Boyle LA. 2017. Validation of Carcass Lesions as Indicators for on-farm Health and Welfare of Pigs. Journal of Animal Science. 95:1528-1536.
- van Staaveren N, Vale AP, Manzanilla EG, Teixeira DL, Leonard FC, Hanlon A, Boyle LA. 2016. Relationship between tail lesions and lung health in slaughter pigs. Preventive Veterinary Medicine. 127:21-26.
- Agostini PS, Fahey AG, Manzanilla EG, O’Doherty JV, de Blas C, Gasa J. 2014. Management factors affecting mortality feed intake and feed conversion ratio of grow-finishing pigs. Animal. 8:1312-1318.
- Muns R, Manzanilla EG, Sol C, Manteca X, Gasa J. 2013. Piglet behavior as a measure of vitality and its influence on piglet survival and growth during lactation. Journal of Animal Science. 91:1838-1843.
- Davin R, Manzanilla EG, Klasing KC, Pérez JF. 2012. Evolution of zinc, iron, and copper concentrations along the gastrointestinal tract of piglets weaned with or without in-feed high doses of zinc oxide compared to unweaned littermates. Journal of Animal Science. 90:248-250.
- Molist F, Manzanilla EG, Pérez JF, Nyachoti M. 2012. Coarse, but not finely ground, dietary fibre increases intestinal Firmicutes/Bacteroidetes ratio and reduces diarrhoea induced by experimental infection in piglets. British Journal of Nutrition. 108:9-15.
- Hermes RG, Manzanilla EG, Martin-Orue SM, Perez JF, Klasing KC. 2011. Influence of dietary ingredients on in vitro inflammatory response of intestinal porcine epithelial cells challenged by an enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (K88).Comparative Immunology, Microbiology, and Infectious Diseases. 34:479-488.
Jordi Camp Montoro