Bridget LynchResearch Officer
I am a senior Research Officer in the Department of Environment Soils and Land Use Department in Johnstown Castle. I lead the agronomic aspects of the Agricultural Catchments Programme and manage the soil science, gaseous emissions, socio economic and communication teams in the programme. My other research interests include: Evaluation of multispecies swards for livestock systems; Grazing management for grass based dairy production; Knowledge transfer of grassland science technologies; Biorefinery of grass/ crops and role in the bioeconomy.
I am an adjunct Associate Professor in the UCD School of Agriculture and Food Science.
- Maria Merriman – Project administrator
- Tom O’Connell – Communications officer
- Macdara O’Neill – Research officer
- Michele McCormack – Research officer
- Ognjen Zurovec – Research officer
- Syed Faiz-ul Islam – Technologist
- Meadhbh Murphy – Technician
- Sean Hegarty – Technician
- Ciaran Hearn – PhD student
- David Corbett – PhD student
- Laura Daly – Master student
- Agricultural Catchments Programme - Phase 4
- LowFarmN – The development of low nitrogen grassland-based systems of integrated crop-livestock production
- Optimising soil fertility for grass production on dairy farms with heavy soils
- The interaction between genotype and nutrition in high yielding dairy cows in seasonal grass based systems of milk production (NutriGen)
- Development of a high output grass based spring milk production system
- Heartland+ Health, Environment, Agriculture, Rural development: Training network for LAND management
- 2016 Professional Diploma in University Teaching and Learning, University College Dublin
- 2008 PhD, University College Dublin
- 2004 Bachelor of Agricultural Science, University College Dublin
- 2021 Senior Research Officer – Agronomist, Teagasc, Johnstown Castle
- 2021 Adjunct Associate Professor, UCD School of Agriculture and Food Science
- 2020 Associate Professor of Grass and Forage Science, University College Dublin
- 2007 Assistant Professor of Grass and Forage Science, University College Dublin
McKay, Z.C., Mulligan, F.J., Brady, E.L., O’Sullivan, M., Rajauria, G., Lynch, M.B., Callaghan, T.F. and Pierce, K.M. (2022). Impact of a total mixed ration or pasture/pasture silage-based feeding strategy in the initial stages of lactation of spring-calving dairy cows on milk production, composition and selected milk processability parameters. Irish Journal of Agricultural and Food Research 1-14, DOI: 10.15212/ijafr-2022-0003.
P.E. Mellander, M.B. Lynch, J. Galloway, O. Žurovec, M. McCormack, M. O’Neill, D. Hawtree, and E. Burgess (2022). Benchmarking a decade of holistic agro-environmental studies within the Agricultural Catchments Programme. Irish Journal of Agricultural and Food Research, 1-17, DOI: 10.15212/ijafr-2020-0145.
E.L. Brady, E.T. Kelly, M.B. Lynch, A.G. Fahey, K.M. Pierce and F.J. Mulligan (2022). The effect of concentrate feeding strategy and dairy cow genotype on milk production, pasture intake, body condition score and metabolic status under restricted grazing conditions. Livestock Science, 256, 104815. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2021.104815
Hearn C., Egan M., Berry D.P., Geoghegan A., O'Leary M., Lynch M.B., O'Donovan M (2021). Agronomic performance of ten perennial ryegrass varieties on commercial grassland farms. The Journal of Agricultural Science 2021:1-11; http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/s0021859621000927.
M.J. Doran, F.J. Mulligan, M.B. Lynch, A.G. Fahey, Z.C. McKay, N.J. Ryan, C. McDonnell, S. McCabe and K.M. Pierce (2021). Effect of supplement crude protein concentration on milk production over the main grazing season and on nitrogen excretion in late-lactation grazing dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2021-20743
C.J. Bracken, G.J. Lanigan, K.G. Richards, C. Muller, S.R. Tracy, J. Grant, D.J. Krol, H. Sheridan, M.B. Lynch, C. Grace, R. Fritch and P.N.C. Murphy (2021). Source partitioning using N2O isotopomers and soil WFPS to establish dominant N2O production pathways from different pasture sward compositions Science of the Total Environment, 781, 146515. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.146515
D. Corbett, D.P. Wall, M.B. Lynch and P. Tuohy (2021). The influence of lime application on the chemical and physical characteristics of acidic grassland soils with impeded drainage. The Journal of Agricultural Science. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859621000381
E.L. Brady, K.M. Pierce, M.B. Lynch, A.G. Fahey and F.J. Mulligan (2021). The effect of nutritional management in early lactation and dairy cow genotype on milk production, metabolic status, and uterine recovery in a pasture-based system. Journal of Dairy Science, 104 (5) 5522-5538 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2020-19329
M.J. Doran, M. O’Sullivan, F.J. Mulligan, M.B. Lynch, A.G. Fahey, Z.C. McKay, H. Ryan and K.M. Pierce (2021). Effects of protein supplementation strategy and genotype on milk composition and selected milk processability parameters in late-lactation spring-calving grazing dairy cows. International Dairy Journal. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2021.105050.
C. Holohan, T. Russell, F.J. Mulligan, K.M. Pierce and M.B. Lynch (2021). A survey analysis of farmer practices and perceptions of zero-grazing on Irish dairy farms. Journal of Dairy Science. 104 (5), 5665-5674 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2020-19164