Teagasc Distance Education Green Cert (for Non Agricultural Award Holders)
|Course Duration||Minimum of 15 - 18 months|
|Course Code(s)||5M20454 and 6S20487|
|Progression||Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Agriculture|
|Location||Teagasc Regional Education Centres and Agricultural Colleges|
|Application||Contact Local Education Centres|
Applicants must be a holder of a Level 6 or higher major award in a non-agricultural discipline. If the award is not on the National Framework of Qualifications, or if there can be any doubt as to the equivalence of the award on the National Framework of Qualifications, the onus is on the applicant to provide proof that the award meets this entry requirement. Information on the National Framework of Qualifications is available from Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), Qualification Recognition Service. Applicants must also have continuous access to a commercial farm in the Republic of Ireland (home farm or approved nominated farm) for the duration of the course in order to develop proficiency in farm tasks and complete farm base assignment and projects. They must have access to all farm details including financial details on the nominated farm and are expected to spend at least two days per week on this farm and be involved in the farm operation and management.
This course has been developed to meet the training requirements for full-time or part-time farmers that hold a non-agricultural Level 6 or higher Major award qualification. The Teagasc Distance Education Green Cert for Non Agricultural Award Holders meets the training requirement for Stamp Duty Exemption and for Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine Schemes. The course covers subjects such as: farm business and IT; principles of agriculture; farm safety; farm assurance; farm enterprise production modules; safe use of pesticides; farm performance and management modules; grass production modules, and environmental modules.
Course Duration and Location
This part-time course extends over a minimum of 15-18 months and is offered at Teagasc Regional Education Centres and Agricultural Colleges.
Teagasc Distance Education Green Cert for Non Agricultural Award Holders course:
- Comprises two separate awards, the Level 5 Certificate in Agriculture (120 credits) and the Level 6 Specific Purpose Certificate in Farming (50 credits)
- Has a minimum entry requirement of a Level 6 major Non-Agricultural Award
- Requires in the region of 170 hours direct contact (including classroom sessions, practical skills instruction; farm planning sessions, tutorials; exam time; practical skills assessment time). Attendance will be on week days during normal business hours. Depending on local arrangements, centres will endeavour to provide applicants with a schedule of some or all attendance days before the start of the course.
- Requires a 12 month practical learning period. This will be completed on the home farm/nominated farm in the Republic of Ireland.
- Students must have access to a nominated farm as they are required to spend approximately two days per week (eg evenings or weekends) of active participation on the nominated farm to practice skills and apply knowledge from the courses.
- In order to complete some projects, students have to be able to access a full set of farm accounts and herd breed data where relevant for the nominated farm. Students must be normally resident on the island of Ireland for the duration of the course.
The distance education green cert is only offered at specific Teagasc centres/colleges. Applications are only taken during specific advertised application periods. Further information is available at www.teagasc.ie
NOTE: The content and structure of this course is planned to change in 2018 subject to QQI validation