Get ready for Storm Lorenzo
With Storm Lorenzo fast approaching, it is important to think safety first.
Follow the severe weather advice provided by Met Éireann: "In early October, trees are mostly in full leaf with a large surface area, so even moderate strength winds can bring down weakened trees and/or tree limbs. In addition, some trees may be compromised due to saturated soils at the moment, and with more rain forecast with Storm Lorenzo some disruption due to falling trees/branches is likely. Heavy rain, coupled with falling leaves may block drains and gullies, leading to surface flooding."
Be aware too that trees may have been left in a dangerous condition by the storm. The following links provide practical advice, short useful videos and safety leaflets that can be downloaded:
- Dealing with storm damage
- Operating a chainsaw safely and what safety gear you need to wear
- Managing safety in forestry operations
- Do you need to apply for a felling licence: Felling of trees - legal requirements
- Met Éireann
- Minister Creed urges 'Safety First' in face of impending Storm Lorenzo
- Government information