Joint Programmes are farm development programmes run by Teagasc with the support of local milk processors.
Joint Programmes are farm development programmes run by Teagasc with the support of local milk processors. Teagasc currently engages in a large number of such programmes. Each seeks to address technical improvement in areas of importance to the local milk processor. Some such individual joint development programmes have been in operation for more than 20 years.
Areas for technical improvement addressed in current joint Teagasc-industry dairy development programmes include:
- Improving milk quality;
- Increasing stocking rate;
- Increasing milk supply to the local milk processor post-quota removal.
A variety of advisory methods are employed by Teagasc to encourage dairy farmers to make the changes needed to improve their current practices. These vary with the type of change required. Some of the most common methods are:
- Facilitating local discussion groups;
- Supporting monitor farms;
- Operating targeted advisory visits to individual farmers.