Harvesting and Timber Production
- First thinning of conifer forests
- Check suitability to thin with the Thinning Ready Reckoner
- Timber measurement in conifer forests
- Number of trees removed during thinning
- Tending and thinning of broadleaf forests
- Production of quality hardwood timber
- Felling, presentation & grading of hardwood timber
- Felling of trees - legal requirements including a section on exempted trees
- Felling and reforestation standards
- Deforestation - legal requirements
- Managing safety in forestry operations
- Operating a chainsaw safely
For useful information on timber sales and prices, see Markets.
Teagasc Talking Timber 2018 – log quality requirements for timber buyers
Aodan Kealey, timber buyer with Murray Timber Group discusses a range of log quality issues that influences the value and purchase of timber by sawmills and timber processors.