Continuous Cover Forestry Event
Thursday 6 July 2023, Dromcolliher, Co Limerick
- MORNING session (10 am – 12.30 pm) is fully booked
- AFTERNOON session (2 pm – 4.30 pm) is fully booked
This event will showcase the transformation to continuous cover forest (CCF) management of a mixed broadleaf species forest in County Limerick. The event will focus in particular on oak transformation management and hardwood timber use.
Initial works started in 2020 and have been funded under the DAFM Continuous Cover Forestry Scheme. To date, this has been a collaborative effort between the owners working closely with local forestry professionals along with Teagasc Forestry support.
During this event, participants will visit several stops within the forest and will be able to meet and discuss a wide range of topics. Topics will include:
- The (upcoming) DAFM CCF scheme
- The management plan and recent thinning operations
- Transformation management of oak plantation: selection, marking and initial thinning
- Onsite hardwood processing for added value including the refurbishment of a mediaeval tower found on the farm using local oak
- New training and CCF educational resource including details of the new Erasmus project MOOC FOR CHANGE
You will find this CCF event of great interest if you are interested in:
- the multipurpose value of forests
- learning more about CCF management
- understanding the thinning process and learn how to select trees by their quality, vigour and biodiversity value
- hardwood timber utilisation
The event will take place on Thursday 6 July 2023 near Dromcolliher in Co Limerick.
All are welcome but prior registration is required. You will be informed of the meeting point (including Eircode) upon registration:
- The morning session will start at 10 am and finish at 12.30 pm (fully booked)
- The afternoon session will start at 2 pm and finish at 4.30 pm (fully booked)
Please wear suitable clothing and footwear.
- Jonathan Spazzi, Teagasc Forestry Development Officer for Limerick and Kerry
- Find out more about Continuous Cover Forestry