Practical Learning Period
Objectives of Practical Learning Period (PLP)
A Practical Learning Period (PLP) is a mandatory component of Teagasc training programmes. PLP allows the learner to:
- Apply knowledge, skills and competencies acquired during the training programme to a real work situation.
- Apply classroom theory and practical skills training in a work situation.
- Develop new technical skill through work based learning.
- Understand and apply health and safety protocols and responsibilities of the work place.
- Work independently in an unfamiliar situation.
- Develop effective time management skills.
- Demonstrate initiative and leadership skills.
- Work effectively in a team.
- Analyse and solve day to day workplace problems.
- Develop interpersonal and self-management skills.
- Communicate in a professional manner within the workplace
A 34 page booklet with all information on the Practical Learning Period is available to download as a pdf here Practical Learning Period - A Guide for Agricultural Hosts and Learners All the information in the booklet is also in this section
Teagasc Agricultural Courses
Teagasc is the primary provider of accredited Further Education and Training
(FET) for the land–based sector. Teagasc also makes a major input into
Higher Education and Training (HET) and postgraduate courses through its
partnerships with the higher education sector.