Teagasc provides objective and independent information on forestry grants to private landowners
Forestry Programme 2023–2027
Making a forestry grant application
The previous Forestry Programme 2014-2020 is now closed for applications while the new Forestry Programme 2023-2027 is not open yet for applications. The details of the new programme are not available yet.
The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine will open the new Forestry Programme 2023-2027 for applications as soon as State Aid approval from the EU Commission has been received (possibly in summer 2023).
The proposed Forestry Programme 2023–2027 contains a series of eight different interventions:
- Forest Creation
- Infrastructure and Technology investments
- Sustainable Forest Management
- Developing skills and empowering the Forest Sector for Sustainable Forest Management
- Open Forests: Social, Cultural and Heritage Forests
- Climate Resilient Reforestation
If you already have a technical approval
Applicants who hold a valid technical approval for Afforestation or Roads on 31 December 2022, but have not commenced work, and do not wish to wait until the launch of the Forestry Programme 2023-2027 may wish to consider the following interim schemes:
- Interim Afforestation Scheme (via General De Minimis)
- Interim Forest Road Scheme (via General De Minimis)
These interim schemes have been published and are available on the Department’s website: www.gov.ie/forestry.
If the applicant with a valid approval wishes to await the launch of the Forestry Programme 2023-2027, no further action is required at this stage.
- Licensing applications for afforestation and roads that are not subject to grant aid will continue to be accepted.
- There are no changes to felling licences and any valid felling licence may proceed as before.
- All beneficiaries of premiums under the Forestry Programme 2014-2020 (extended to 2022) are not affected and will continue to receive payments.
Other useful grants information
- Getting started in forestry in five steps
- Online forestry premium applications
- Interaction of forestry with other farm schemes
- Legal requirements relevant to forestry grants applications
- Licence applications can be viewed on the DAFM Forestry Licence Viewer (external website)
Do you have forestry questions of a technical nature? Please visit the Advisory section.
Subscribe to our e-newsletter: