Teagasc provides objective and independent advisory services to all private landowners on forestry related matters.
Your local forestry advisor will be able to provide you with free, independent and objective advice on any financial aspect you may have regarding forestry.
Do you have forestry questions of a technical nature? Please visit the Forestry Advice section.
Forest establishment grant schemes:
- Afforestation (GPC 1-8), focus is on timber production
- Native Woodland Establishment (GPC 9-10), focus is on nature creation
- Agro-Forestry (GPC 11), combining trees with grazing or silage
- Forestry for Fibre (GPC 12 a&b), planting of trees for energy purposes
- NeighbourWood Scheme, woodlands for public use and enjoyment. Closing date: 29 April 2016.
Forest support grant schemes:
- Native Woodland Conservation, focus is on nature conservation
- Forest Road Scheme, construction of a forest road
- Woodland Improvement Scheme, tending and thinning of broadleaf forests
- Seed Stand and Seed Orchard Scheme, support for seed stands and orchard
- Reconstitution Scheme (Chalara), providing support following infection by ash dieback
- Reconstitution Scheme (Windblow), providing support following windblow damage. Closing date: 24 February 2017.
Important information - worth reading!
- Brief Overview of Forestry Grant Rates
- How do I get the work done?, providing details on T&Cs, eligibility, applications, etc.
- Interaction of forestry with other farm schemes such as BPS, etc.
- Comparing farm forestry with other farm enterprises (PDF)
- Afforestation - legal requirements
- Change of Ownership
Please visit the relevant sections above to view scheme-specific publications.
- Overview of Forestry Grants 2014-2020 (PDF 1.4 MB)
- Farm Forestry Series No. 18: A Guide to Grant and Premium Categories (PDF)
- Farm Forestry Series No. 7: Establishing a Farm Forest. (PDF)
- List of Registered Foresters (PDF)
- List of Native Woodland Scheme Ecologists (PDF)
- Full details of the Afforestation Grant and Premium Scheme 2014-2020 (PDF)
- Forestry Scheme Penalty Schedules (PDF)
Regulations may change over time. Before making an application, please check that you have the most recent information.
To encourage the planting of more forests, a range of planting schemes with attractive afforestation grants and annual payments are available to landowners. This video explains briefly what is involved and where to go for independent and objective advice.
Noel Kennedy, Forestry Adviser with Teagasc discusses afforestation. Filmed at TIMBER 2017, Stradbally Hall Estate, Co Laois.