Cork East Advisory Region
Helping farmers to increase productivity and competitiveness
In this region, we have 4 offices (Fermoy, Midleton, Mallow and Kanturk) hosting a team of 25 advisers and 6 administrative staff serving approximately 3,600 clients. All our advisers have the full back-up of the entire Teagasc organisation. This includes original Teagasc research under Irish farming conditions on all types of enterprise. Dairy research takes place at Moorepark; beef research at Grange; sheep research at Athenry; tillage research at Oak Park; and environment research is carried out at Johnstown Castle.
Our programmes are designed to help clients increase productivity and competitiveness. In doing that, we place a great emphasis on grassland management, breeding, and soil and animal nutrition.
There are 41 dairy, 13 drystock, 8 tillage and 2 sheep discussion groups in the region which meet monthly in dairying and four to eight times yearly for the other enterprises. The discussion group service includes the Department of Agriculture-funded dairy, beef and sheep programmes. There is an annual programme of seminars, farm walks and demonstrations for each type of enterprise and details of these events can be found on this website.
There are also 5 monitor dairy farms, and 1 BETTER tillage farm in the region which provide excellent information on the precise farming conditions of the region, as well as implementing and assessing newly-researched farm technologies.
Advisory Services Include
- Individual Advice to Farmer Clients
- Farm Visits
- Office and Telephone Consultations
- Joint Programme Advisory Activities Dairygold, Glanbia, Kerry Agribusiness, BETTER Farm Beef and BETTER Farm Sheep.
- Heavy Soils Programme
- Pasture Base and Grass10
- Public Events, Farm Walks, Seminars, Workshops and Open Days.
- Alumni for recent agricultural graduates/Young Farmers. Contact Sharon O'Mahoney
- Basic Payments Scheme Assistance
- Applications and Service for TAMS, GLAS, BDGP, BEEP
- Succession Planning Services
- Water Quality - Agricultural Sustainability Support and Advisory Programme (ASSAP)
Our Regional Education System provides courses in Agriculture for new entrants to farming.
- Part-Time courses leads to level 6 Certification in Farming
- Distance Green Cert Course leads to Level 6 Certification in Farming
Short Course Provided Include:
- Options/Alternative Enterprises
- Farm Safety
- Environmental Course
- Financial Management
- Organic Farming
- Farm Forestry etc
For more information, please feel free to contact any of our advisers in the nearest office.
Regional Manager, Cork East